Ronan McLoughlin Portland Poi Workshops
$60.00 – $100.00
This is a rare treat to learn from Ronan! World renown poi artist, thorough teacher and the innovator of contact poi.
“The higher your structure is to be, the deeper must be its foundation.”
When we spin poi, we are always limited by our technical control, but at any level of ability, there is room for infinite expression.
In these workshops, you will explore how to combine poi technique with different movement practices to find infinite expression and freedom.
It will be a weekend of much, and much more.
>>> Workshop details
Each workshop takes place from 11am-3pm at the Waterline Studio, Portland which is a part of the Headwaters Theatre, 55 NE Farragut St. #4, Portland, OR 97211.
$60/workshop or $100 for 2 workshops – save $20 when you sign up for both!
>>> Saturday, January 27, 2018:
• Re-examine the base control structure from which all technical ability comes, and explore exercises to increase technical freedom.
• Explore the concept of Poi Katas as a way to practice technique alongside transition, and free us from individual “moves.”
• Examine “Learning to Learn” theory, techniques and perspectives that can greatly improve the quality of our practice.
>>> Sunday, January 28, 2018:
• Dig into more complex technique and concepts, such as isolations, flowers, body tracing, pendulums, etc.
• Explore how we can change the effect, quality and texture of our movement by training different techniques, such as Point to Point, Isolation, Speed Control, Level Changes, etc.
• Examine exercises and techniques to hack and adjust our systems in ways that work for us to optimize our experience.
As we work on our poi technique, we will also focus on exploring body movement and exercises designed to open up and make our spinning more visually interesting. You’ll see how combining your poi spinning with movement techniques changes the effect, quality and texture of your practice, play and performance.
We will also examine ways to develop your own quality poi practice time – understanding how you learn best and what tools, techniques and perspectives can improve the quality of your practice.
Who is Ronan?
Ronan is a world renowned fire and object manipulation artist from Ireland. Best known for his innovative style of poi spinning and being the originator of contact poi, Ronan has been teaching and performing around the world for over 10 years.
Taking inspiration from other juggling and object manipulation arts, as well as movement and mind/body awareness disciplines such as tai chi and meditation alongside illusion-based dance, he has developed a unique style of movement and performance.
As Ronan explored these skills more deeply, he became fascinated with how we learn and how to learn more efficiently. Over the past years he has shared ideas, experiences and techniques on learning that he has acquired through teaching and facilitating Learning-to-Learn workshops, including TEDx talks.